Tuesday 3 January 2012

Happy New Year!

I know, I am a little late in wishing you all a Happy 2012, but we had a sick little girl here and so other things took priority over quilting and the blog. 
She is doing much better now and I can share with you my last finish for 2011!


This is a WIP/UFO from the Piecemakers calendar for 2000.


Yes, I said 2000.  That means this project is 12 years old!  I started it in 1999 or 2000 (I can't remember!)

I worked on it on and off for a few years.  This was my first project using needle turn applique.  I had a lot of fun making this landscape.


I had done embroidery before but not on a quilt project.


It was also my first time doing ribbon embroidery.  I really enjoyed it and find it so pretty!


The windows are reverse applique and were then stitched with one strand of embroidery floss.

One of the reasons it took me so long to finish this project is because it was all done by hand (except the borders, which were added on by machine) and so I really wanted to try to hand quilt it.  As I was trying to scratch projects off my list of UFOs in 2011, and my hand quilting wasn't getting any better, I asked my mother to machine quilt it on her Gammill.  She did the most wonderful job!  She even used some metallic threads in the snow and sky!  

I finished hand sewing the binding on December 31st, as my husband was watching the hockey game.  

And so, although I am a little late, I wish you all a very happy and quilty 2012!!

4 comments:

  1. it is really beautiful Ginette. You are so luck to have a mother with a Gammill!! and now you are learning to use it yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! It looks like it took a long time to make :) Very beautiful, definitely a keepsake

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful details, Ginette! Congrats on getting that finished before the New Year. Happy New Year to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad your little one is better.

    I have to tell you that that quilt is totally fabulous...wonderful needle turn.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting and leaving a comment! I love to know what you think, and if you have any questions please ask!